CBD for pets: Do you have an older cat at home? If so, you may be wondering if they are starting to experience any health problems. As cats get older, they become more prone to developing certain health conditions. This blog will help you learn about some of the most common health problems seen in senior cats and how CBD oil for cats can help treat them.
Table of Contents
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol is one of the cannabinoids found in cannabis. CBD is a cannabinoid that does not produce a “high” and is non-psychoactive, unlike its close relative THC. CBD may be extracted from hemp or marijuana plants.
CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is for maintaining homeostasis in the body. It helps regulate various functions, such as sleep, appetite, and immunity.
How Can CBD Help an Older Cat?
CBD is linked to a variety of health advantages in people and animals. Some of the ways that it can help your cat include:
-Reducing inflammation and pain
-Improving neurological function
-Increasing appetite and reducing nausea
-Stimulating the immune system
-Reducing anxiety and stress.
Some Common Health Issues Faced by Older Cats
- Arthritis: Arthritis is a common problem in older cats. Trauma to the joints, such as a fracture or sprain, can cause this problem. The deterioration of cartilage between the bones in the joints is what causes it. It can lead to joint pain and stiffness.
- Cognitive Dysfunction: As cats age, they may experience cognitive dysfunction. It is similar to Alzheimer’s disease in humans and can cause memory loss, confusion, and changes in behavior.
- Kidney Disease: Kidney disease is a common health problem in older cats. It occurs when the kidneys can no longer effectively filter toxins from the blood. This leads to kidney failure and death.
- Cancer: Cancer is a common disease in older cats. It can cause tumors to grow in the body and be fatal if not treated.
- Pain and Inflammation: Pain and inflammation are common problems in older cats. They can be caused by arthritis, cancer, or other health conditions.
- Digestive Issues: Older cats may usually experience digestive issues such as constipation or diarrhea. It is caused by several factors, including kidney disease, arthritis, or cancer.
- Sleeplessness: Older cats may have difficulty sleeping. Insomnia in senior cats can be caused by pain or anxiety.
- Skin Issues: Older cats may experience skin problems such as hair loss, dryness, or itching. CBD for pets
CBD Oil for Treating Health Issues in Cats
CBD is a compound found in the cannabis plant. CBD has been studied in clinical trials, and it’s been shown to have a variety of health advantages, including pain and inflammation reduction, anxiety reduction, and sleep improvement.
CBD can be given to cats in the form of oil, treats, or capsules. It is essential to talk to your veterinarian before giving CBD oil for cats, as it can interact with other medications.
How to Feed Your Senior Cat CBD?
The best way to give your senior cat CBD is by starting with a low dose and increasing it gradually. It is essential to talk to your veterinarian before giving your cat CBD, as they can help you determine the correct dosage.
- Add CBD Oil to the Food
One of the best methods to give your cat CBD is adding it to their food. Add a few CBD oil drops to their wet food or kibble and mix it well. You can also use a dropper to place the oil directly into your cat’s mouth. CBD for pets
- Give Them Treats
Another easy way to give your cat CBD is by giving them CBD treats. There are many brands of CBD pet treats available on the market. Give your cat one or two treats per day, depending on their size.
If you prefer, you can also give your cat CBD in capsules. Open the capsule and combine the contents with their wet food or kibble. You can also provide them with the capsule directly, but make sure they swallow it whole.
Safety Tips of Administering CBD in Senior Cats
Some of the essential factors that one should pay attention to while giving their senior cats CBD are as follows.
- Read the Label
It is essential to read the label on CBD products to make sure they are safe for your cat. Look for products made for pets and that do not contain any THC, as this can be harmful to cats.
- Monitor Your Cat
After starting your cat on CBD, monitoring them closely for any side effects is crucial. These may include changes in appetite, sleep, or behavior. If you notice any adverse effects, stop giving your cat CBD and talk to your veterinarian.
Choosing a CBD Product for Your Senior Cat
When choosing a CBD product for your senior cat, it is crucial to choose one specifically for pets. It is also essential to choose a product that does not contain any THC, as this can be harmful to cats.
Make sure to check where the hemp in the product is grown. Hemp grown in the United States is subject to strict regulations, ensuring that it is free of pesticides and other chemicals.
When choosing CBD oil, select one with a low concentration of CBD. It will make it easier to find the correct dose for your cat.
Always look for CBD isolate or broad-spectrum oils. These products have been through an extra processing step to remove the THC, making them safe for your cat.
As always, consult your veterinarian before giving your cat CBD, as they can help you choose a product and determine the correct dosage. Start slowly and increase gradually as needed. If you notice any adverse effects, stop giving your cat CBD and talk to your veterinarian immediately.
If you’re concerned that your older cat is experiencing any of these diseases, see your veterinarian and take the necessary steps. They can guide and help you determine if CBD is suitable for your cat and how to give it safely.