Tips On Wearing Cornflower Blue
There aren’t that many colors as beautiful, versatile, and peaceful as cornflower blue. There’s a reason why it was a staple color for the Queen during the 2019 Royal Ascot races.
Cornflower blue is a shade that’s both classic and chic, making it a must-have in any wardrobe. The cornflower color isn’t new to the game. Its history dated back to the ancient Egyptians and Europe and was used by famous artists. Here are seven tips on how you can incorporate this beautiful shade into your wardrobe:
History of cornflower blue
The history of the cornflower is as varied as the flower itself. Belonging to the Centaurea genus of the Centaurea cyanus, cornflower blue has had many uses and life over the years.
In England, it was known as bachelor’s buttons. Single men used to wear flower on their lapels to indicate their interest in a particular woman. If the flower faded quickly, it was thought that the woman didn’t reciprocate his feelings.
In addition to being used by bachelors and maidens in England, the cornflower is also Germany’s national flower—owing to a story involving Queen Louise of Prussia and her escape to Berlin from king Napoleon’s forces.
Tips on wearing cornflower blue
Now that you understand the flowers’ history, here are five tips on how to wear cornflower blue in a stylish and on-trend way. Whether you’re dressing up for a special occasion or want to add color to your everyday wardrobe, these tips will help you make the most of this timeless shade.
The first tip on this list to help you get the most out of your cornflower blue outfits, whether a t-shirt or blouse, is to pair them with neutrals. These can be black, white, gray, or beige. By wearing these colors, you can create a cohesive and sophisticated look.
Neutral colors serve as a base, allowing cornflower blue to shine while balancing its bright and bold nature. A tip that you can use is to wear a cornflower blue blouse with black pants or a cornflower blue dress with beige heels, as the royals did at the Royal Ascot race.
Cornflower blue looks fantastic by itself; however, adding accessories can be a fun way to showcase your personality and have some fun.
You can do this by incorporating small accents of cornflower blue through the following:
- Jewelry: There are several ways you can go about it. Try wearing cornflower blue earrings, a neckpiece, or a bracelet. This will draw attention to your face and add color to your look.
- Bags: Bags are also a statement piece that can elevate your look. Consider a cornflower blue handbag or a beige /nude clutch.
- Shoes: Another great way to incorporate this beautiful color is by wearing cornflower blue. You can wear cornflower blue heels, flats, or sneakers to add color to your look.
Cornflower blue is versatile, meaning you can dress it up or down. This, of course, depends on the occasion.
If you’re headed to a formal occasion, opt for a traditional look, such as a tailored blazer suit or dress. This is a classy look with a pop of color that looks sophisticated and put together.
When you’re in the mood for a laidback look, you can opt for casual pieces such as cornflower blue flutter sleeve tops and t-shirts paired with black or navy jeans. This looks incredible, is comfortable, and, most importantly, can be worn with slightly different variations daily.
Mixing and matching different textures can help create a more exciting and dynamic look. For example, you could pair a cornflower blue blazer with a textured white blouse and suede pants or silk cornflower blue pants with a white frilly polka dot top or a floral patterned dress underneath a cotton trench coat.
Additionally, you could also go out of your comfort zone and experiment with different textures, such as florals and stripes. These patterns can add dimension to your outfits and elevate them.
Cornflower blue comes in various shades, from pale baby blue to deeper navy blue. Consider your skin tone and choose a shade that complements it. Choosing the right shade of cornflower blue is essential for creating a cohesive and flattering outfit. Here’s what to keep in mind when choosing the right shade:
- Skin Tone: The shade of cornflower blue that works best for you depends on your skin tone. For example, lighter shades may look better on fair skin, while darker shades may look better on darker skin tones.
- Occasion: The occasion you’re dressing for can also influence your shade choice. For example, a lighter shade may be more appropriate for a casual picnic, while a deeper shade may be more appropriate for a formal event.
- Color Palette: When choosing a shade of cornflower blue, consider the other colors in your outfit. For example, lighter shades may look better with pastel colors, while deeper shades may look better with jewel tones.
Cornflower blue is a versatile and beautiful color that can add a pop of color to any wardrobe. To make the most of this color, consider pairing it with neutral colors, dressing it up or down to match the occasion, accessorizing wisely, and mixing and matching textures and shades. By following these tips, you can create a variety of stylish and cohesive looks that show off the beauty of cornflower blue.