How To Fix Sound Problems in Windows 10: Are you looking for a solution to fix the sound problem in Windows 10? Are you facing the problem of audio stuttering in Windows 10? If your answer is yes, then we would like to bring to your attention that the same problem of audio not working is faced by several Windows users along with you. However, the good news is that the problem can be fixed by following some basic troubleshooting steps. In this article we will be going to discuss some easy ways that will help you to resolve the problem of audio not working in Windows 10.
Table of Contents
For the people who use their computer basically for entertainment purposes, the computer with no audio is of no use for them. As they can’t watch their favorite movies, they can’t listen to songs, and even they connect with their loved ones over video calls. It can be so frustrating that they might think of changing their entire computer because of audio issues. However, believe us fixing sound problems in Windows 10 is not that much hard. Below we have shared five easy troubleshooting steps that will help you to resolve the issue of audio not working in Windows 10. Also, you do not need to follow all the steps. Just trying each at a time and once you are able to fix the problem you can skip the other steps.
Before deep diving into the technical troubleshooting steps, first make sure that the basics are set to right. Therefore, if you feel that you have some audio issues or audio not working in Windows 10 then first of all make sure that you haven’t accidentally muted the audio.
To make sure click on the Volume icon located in the bottom right corner of the taskbar and confirm that the volume is not set to extremely low or completely muted. If it is muted then turn the mute off and check whether it fixes the sound problem.
Apart from that it is also important to check that the volume level for other apps currently playing audio is not set to mute or minimum. To check right click on the volume icon and select Volume Mixer, and open it. Now make sure that volume is up and not muted for all the apps currently playing audio.
Moreover, make sure that the volume is up inside the running program or application as well. For example: if your YouTube video is muted then no matter your master volume is turned up, you will still hear no sound from YouTube.
Now moving on to the next step, you should check all the connecting cables that are connecting your audio devices to the computer. So, another quick tip to fix sound problems in windows 10 is make sure all audio cables are connected properly to the audio device as well as to the computer. It is always a good idea to unplug all the audio devices and reconnect them back to rule out any possibility of loose connections. Also, do confirm that the audio cables are plugged into correct audio ports.
In the process if you find out any connecting cable or wire as worn out then immediately replace that cable with a new one.
If instead of using wired devices you are using wireless audio devices like headphones or speakers then navigate to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices and here make sure that the wireless device is correctly paired with the computer. If it is not correctly paired then also you will not be able to hear any sound from it. Also make sure that your Bluetooth device whether speakers or headphones are in the Bluetooth referred range, i.e., somewhere around 10 meters.
So, your volume isn’t muted nor you have any loose connections, but still, you are facing issues of audio stuttering in Windows 10. Now, to fix this you need to follow the third method which is disabling audio enhancement.
Although the audio enhancement feature is there to make the most out of your sound card, and enhance the quality of your audio, there are some sound cards that show the compatibility issues with audio enhancement. Therefore, if you have one of them installed on your computer then follow the steps below to turn off audio enhancement.
- Open the Control Panel on your computer and select the option of large icons from View by setting located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now double click on the Sound option to open the Sound window.
- Next, click on the Playback tab, and right-click on the Default Device. Now from the drop-down menu select the option, Properties.
- Now in the Speaker Properties window click on the Enhancement tab, and check mark the box that read, Disable all sound effects
- Click on the Apply > Ok button to save the changes.
Now, check whether your audio problem is resolved or not. In case it is resolved you do not need to go further, but in case it persists then head on to the next step to use Windows Audio Troubleshooter.
Windows 10 has provided various inbuilt troubleshooters that will help you to troubleshoot various common computer problems. So now the next step is to use the built-in audio troubleshooter if audio is not working on a Windows 10 computer.
The audio troubleshooter will not only help you to identify the common problem with the audio but also fix most of them. Therefore, it is worth giving a try to audio troubleshooting to fix sound problems in Windows 10 by following these steps listed below.
- Open Settings on your computer and click on the Update & Security option.
- On the new windows that open click on the Troubleshoot from the left and select Additional troubleshooters > select Playing Audio from the right panel.
- Now click on the Playing Audio option and select Run the troubleshooter option
- Next follow the onscreen instructions and probably after you finish going through the instructions your problem will be fixed.
If you have an outdated sound driver or your current sound driver is not working or incompatible then also you start facing issues of audio stuttering in windows 10. However, this can be easily fixed by updating your audio/sound driver to the latest version.
To update any of your outdated drivers of your computer including the audio driver you have two options. One is a manual method in which you have to visit the device manufacturer website of your audio/sound card and search for the latest along with the correct driver for your device. Another one is the automatic method, that is more reliable and easier as compared to manual method. In that method you do not need to visit any manufacturer website to search for a compatible driver. Instead, you have to just install a driver updater tool and the tool will do the rest.
Advanced Driver Updater is one such amazing driver updater tool that updates all the outdated drivers of your computer with just a few clicks. So, in your case as well, once you install Advanced Driver Updater it will automatically scan your PC and find the most compatible and updated driver for your audio driver based on the driver and operating system configuration.
- To update your outdated audio driver and fix the problem of audio not working in Windows 10, first of all download the latest version of Advanced Driver Updater from its official website.
- Once you have downloaded and installed the program, click on its icon to launch the program.
- Now click on the Start Scan Now button. Within a few seconds the product will scan your system for all the outdated drivers of your system that need an update.
- Once the scan finishes the product will list all the outdated drivers of your system.
- Now click on the Update driver in front of the driver’s name to update it. You can also click on the Update All button to update all the outdated drivers in one go.
- After updating the driver to the latest version, restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
After your computer restarts you will see that an updated driver was all you need to fix sound problems in Windows 10.
So, readers, we hope that using the troubleshooting tips shared in the article you were able to fix the problem of audio not working in Windows 10. Also, do share with us which out of the above methods has helped to fix sound problems in Windows 10.