Devops tools: DevOps is a leading methodology in the IT world, which is spreading at a very fast pace. Many people might be confused about what DevOps is as it is a new term in IT. DevOps solutions are really great and beneficial for the growth of business. This article provides an introduction to DevOps. It also highlights why it is important.
What is DevOps?
DevOps is an approach that bridges the gap between the developments of the IT operations team. It is a combination of people, practices, and tools. The development team creates the application by coding, and the operations team deploys that application and makes it available to the end-user and maintains it. DevOps follows the agile development approach where the whole project is divided into small sprints. This makes the DevOps teams speed up the development process of application and make it more efficient.
Why is DevOps Important?
Here are the main reasons why DevOps is essential:
- Fast Development: With DevOps implemented in the project, the development and operations teams work parallelly. Otherwise, the development and operations teams work separately. This extends the product cycle time needlessly. The DevOps approach makes the development of the application fast.
- Lessened Deployment Failures: The application development process is divided into short cycles in DevOps. Therefore, when the application is divided into modules that get released in small cycles, the defects can be found in these releases. Therefore, defects get resolved during development. It leads to fewer failures after deployment.
- Better Communication and Collaboration: DevOps helps in the development of a better work culture. The team members have better communication. Thus, it makes the development process more productive. The development team and the operation team work together seamlessly to make the final product as per the requirements of the client.
- Enhanced Efficiencies: DevOps makes the development process more efficient and reduces the chances of errors. This is because DevOps tasks can be automated. The use of acceleration tools is another way to increase efficiency in DevOps. Cloud-Based platforms also help in speeding up the process of testing and deployment.
- Lower Costs and IT Headcount: The most significant benefit of DevOps is the reduction in the cost of development and requirement of IT headcount. According to a report, development using DevOps reduces the requirement of IT staff by 35%. It lowers costs by 30%.
- Better Security: As in DevOps, most of the processes are automated, therefore, there is less chance of human error and more security. DevOps uses many tools that sharply notices the complete development cycle and resolve the security related issues, if any.
- Saving Time and Money: In DevOps, there is more focus on the performance while the development lifecycle goes on. The high performance and lesser bugs in development lead to the lessen rework and reduction of maintenance cost. Lesser rework also saves the time of development.
The DevOps teams follow the below practices:
- Automation: In DevOps, most of the work is automated. The processes are automated that speeds up the development and maintenance work, and then increases the efficiency.
- Continuous Integration: Continuous Integration means merging the code in a central location and sharing the code. This helps the engineers work collaboratively and more efficiently.
- Continuous Delivery: Continuous Delivery means the continuous development and delivery of the implemented software or other product changes. It enables businesses to implement all the changes and make improvements fast. This allows engineers to focus on complex issues efficiently.
Overall, DevOps has proven very beneficial to businesses. Therefore, more and more enterprises are implementing this to develop DevOps solutions for their businesses. The DevOps solutions have helped companies achieve fast delivery, stable environments, increased innovation, and better performance from teams.